School of Public Policy
Impact the Region. Transform the World.
Study the development of a new law (Policy Analyst). Communicate key messaging for a private-sector firm (Public Relations Officer). Serve as a liaison between elected officials and community members (City Manager). The Undergraduate Public Policy Program — taught by world-renowned faculty — will help you solve real-world issues in the Inland Empire and around the world!
We put research in your hands.
UCR offers research opportunities to all undergraduate students! This advantage catapults you to the “top of the list” for jobs and/or graduate school. Current SPP research includes:
- Bridging the gap between abstract political theory and “nitty gritty” policy work
- Discovering how residential conservation during droughts affect wastewater reuse
- Exploring immigration’s impact on voting patterns
“I came to UCR’s School of Public Policy because students actively engage in hands-on experiences on and off campus.”
Lizzette Capul ’18 (Public Policy)
Transferred from Riverside City College
Former SPP Dean’s Student Ambassador
You can afford a UC degree, regardless of income and without going into debt.
of UCR undergraduate students received some form of financial aid.
of UCR transfer students received some form of financial aid.
of students' financial aid need was met with need-based aid.
(Financial Aid Office, 2017–18)
Let us show you how: financialaid.ucr.edu
SPP offers the Public Policy Scholarship (for Public Policy majors) and the Western Municipal Water District Scholarship (for third- or fourth-year students from western Riverside County). spp.ucr.edu
National Prestigious Scholarships and Awards (NPSA)
Freshman and transfer UCR students can fund their education with prestigious scholarships, such as the Donald A. Strauss Scholarship and the Undergraduate Fulbright Scholars (Research and English Teaching Award). Support is offered throughout the application process. UCR regional and national scholarships are also available via Financial Aid's Outside Agency Scholarship Search.
Majors & Minors
UCR is the only UC campus to offer an Undergraduate Public Policy Major. You can major or minor in two of six specialized tracks:
- Health/Population Policy
- Social/Cultural/Family Policy
- Economic Policy
- Urban/Environmental Policy
- Policy Institutions and Processes
- International/Foreign Policy
You have big dreams. We'll help them come true!
Professor of Education and Public Policy
- Studies teacher quality, value-added, labor markets, school choice, health and education
- Led a study that shows female faculty take on more internal service work than their male colleagues
Professor of Public Policy and Political Science
- Focuses on the ways in which immigrants are involved in American democracy
- Serves as the director of UCR’s Center for Social Innovation, Immigration Research Group and the National Asian American Survey
FR Freshman Students TR Transfer Students
Every program is designed to help you succeed — from the moment you first step on campus to the day you graduate.
Public Policy coursework is interdisciplinary. Select courses from 12 departments: Anthropology, Economics, Environmental Sciences, Ethnic Studies, Film and Visual Culture, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology and Women’s Studies.
Domestic or International Policy Practicum
(For third- and fourth-year students)
Participate in paid or voluntary internships with a government agency, nonprofit/for-profit organization, trade association, labor/trade union or public affairs firm.
SPP Dean’s Student Ambassador Program
Become a role model and represent SPP at various events. Take part in self-development and networking opportunities. Applications accepted during winter quarter. spp.ucr.edu
Public Policy Seminar/Colloquia
(For third- and fourth-year students)
Attend public lectures by policy makers and non-UCR administrators and researchers from organizations such as the Center for Sustainable Suburban Development (CSSD), the Presley Center for Crime & Justice Studies, One Health Center and Policy Matters. Topics include current issues facing the Inland Empire and our global community. spp.ucr.edu
Develop professional skills, boost your resume and get paid with a SPP fellowship. spp.ucr.edu
DAVID ANGEL, Class of ’19
- SPP Dean’s Student Ambassador
- Former intern, California State Senator Ed Hernandez and Congresswoman Norma Torres
- Assembly District Delegate representing CA Assembly District 52 at the 2017 and 2018 CA Democratic Conventions
NELOWFAR AHMADI, Class of ’19
- SPP Dean’s Ambassador
- Former intern, Congressman Mark Takano’s District and Washington, D.C. offices
- Participant, UCDC Academic Internship Program
- Member, College Democrats at UC Riverside
- Volunteer, UCR’s R’Garden and local campaigns
- Undergraduate Education Student Ambassador
Get help with career success.
UCR’s Career Center — and Virtual Career Center — offers full-service counseling and resources, regardless of major or class level.
- Career and graduate/professional school planning
- Job/internship search strategies and database
- Skill-building workshops, employer information sessions and panel discussions
- 11 fairs, including the Internship and Nonprofit Job Fair and the Spring Job Fair: Career Night