School of Public Policy
Solve Real-World Issues
Study the development of a new law as a policy analyst. Communicate key messaging as a public relations officer for a private-sector firm. Serve as a liaison between elected officials and community members as a city manager. The Undergraduate Public Policy Program — taught by world-renowned faculty — will help you solve real-world issues in the Inland Empire and around the world!
UCR offers research opportunities to all undergraduate students! This advantage catapults you to the “top of the list” for jobs and/or graduate school. Current SPP faculty research includes:
- Bridging the gap between abstract political theory and “nitty gritty” policy work
- Discovering how residential conservation during droughts affect wastewater reuse
- Exploring immigration’s impact on voting patterns
“I came to UCR’s School of Public Policy because students actively engage in hands-on experiences on and off campus.”
Lizzette Capul ’18 (Public Policy)
Transferred from Riverside City College
Former SPP Dean’s Student Ambassador
A UC Degree Is More Affordable Than You Might Think
of UCR undergraduate students receive some form of financial aid.
of UCR transfer students receive some form of financial aid.
of students’ financial aid need was met with need-based aid.
(Financial Aid Office, 2019–20)
Let us show you how: financialaid.ucr.edu
SPP offers the Public Policy Scholarship (for Public Policy majors) and the Western Municipal Water District Scholarship (for third- or fourth-year students from western Riverside County).
Prestigious Scholarships and Awards
Freshman and transfer UCR students can fund their education with prestigious scholarships, such as the Donald A. Strauss Scholarship and the Undergraduate Fulbright Scholars (Research and English Teaching Award). Support is offered throughout the application process. Also available are campus scholarships, and Financial Aid's Outside Agency Scholarship Search for regional and national scholarships.
Majors & MinorsUCR is the only UC campus to offer an Undergraduate Public Policy Major. You can major or minor in two of six specialized tracks:
- Economic Policy
- Health/Population Policy
- International/Foreign Policy
- Policy Institutions and Processes
- Social/Cultural/Family Policy
- Urban/Environmental Policy
Associate Professor of Public Policy
- Studies the well-being of Latino immigrant families
- Focuses on state differences in immigration policies and impacts on health outcomes
Professor of Public Policy and Political Science
- Focuses on the ways in which immigrants are involved in American democracy
- Serves as the director of UCR’s Center for Social Innovation, Immigration Research Group, and the National Asian American Survey
Every program is designed to help you succeed from the moment you first step on campus, to the day you graduate.
FR Freshman Students TR Transfer Students
Public Policy coursework is interdisciplinary. Select courses from 12 departments: anthropology, economics, environmental sciences, ethnic studies, film and visual culture, history, philosophy, political science, psychology, religious studies, sociology, and women’s studies.
Domestic or International Policy Practicum
(For third- and fourth-year students)
Participate in paid or voluntary internships with a government agency, nonprofit/for-profit organization, trade association, labor/trade union, or public affairs firm.
SPP Dean’s Student Ambassador Program
Become a role model and represent SPP at various events. Take part in self-development and networking opportunities. Applications accepted during winter quarter.
Public Policy Seminar Series
(For third- and fourth-year students)
Attend public lectures by policy practitioners and researchers from affiliates such as the Center for Social Innovation, Blum Initiative on Global & Regional Poverty, Robert Presley Center of Crime and Justice Studies, and Inland Center for Sustainable Development.
MAYA PRASAD, Class of ’21
- SPP Dean’s Chief Student Ambassador
- Former Intern, Congresswoman Katie Porter
ERIC CALDERON, Class of ’20
- SPP Dean’s Student Ambassador
- Student Assistant, UCR Center for Social Innovation
- Transfer & Non-Traditional Students Director, Associated Students of UCR
UCR’s Career Center — and Virtual Career Center — offers full-service counseling and resources, regardless of major or class level.
- Career and graduate/professional school planning
- Job/internship search strategies and database
- Skill-building workshops, employer information sessions, and panel discussions
- 15 fairs and special events, including the Internship and Nonprofit Job Fair, and the Spring Job Fair: Career Night