International Transfer

International Transfer Admission 

Transfer applicants are registered at a college/university for a regular session after high school. Transfer applicants cannot disregard their college record and apply as a first-year student.

U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents, who have completed coursework outside the United States, should follow the international admissions requirements for the country in which the coursework was completed

If you are transferring from a four-year, out-of-state two-year, or UC school, please see special instructions that apply to you here.

If you are transferring from a California community college, your admission requirements are outlined below:

UC Riverside's admissions selection process is the same for both international and U.S.-educated applicants.


  • You must complete 60 semester (90 quarter) units of transferable college credit with a minimum GPA of 2.4 (California residents) or 2.8 (nonresidents).
  • Admission is selective. Strive to surpass the minimum GPA.
  • Some major programs require a minimum GPA that is higher than that of basic admission.
  • No more than 14 semester (21 quarter) units may be Pass/Not Pass.
You must complete (with grades C or better) the UC Seven Course Pattern:

      • 2 courses in English composition

      • 1 course in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning

      • 4 courses selected from at least two of the following subject areas: arts and humanities, social and behavioral sciences, physical and biological sciences

  • Each course must be transferable and worth at least 3 semester (4–5 quarter) units.

  • Use ASSIST to see if your classes will transfer BEFORE TAKING THEM.

  • Use the UC Transfer Admission Planner (UC TAP) to track your coursework and monitor your progress. You can enter your coursework (completed and planned) from the beginning of your college career (or whenever you decide to transfer to UCR). You should still meet with counselors, as this tool does not replace in-person advising. The UC TAP also serves as your Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) application.
If English is not the applicant’s native language, or the language of instruction at school, English proficiency must be demonstrated in one of these ways:

  • Pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of 80 or higher (iBT).
  • Pass the International English Testing Language System (IETLS) with a score of 6.5 or higher.
  • Achieve a score of 31 or higher on the new SAT Writing and Language Test
  • Achieve a score of 3, 4 or 5 on the AP Exam in English Language and Composition or English Literature and Composition.
  • Achieve a score of 5, 6 or 7 on the International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level Examination in English (Language A).
  • Complete a transferable college course in English Composition with a C grade or better.

English proficiency must be proven for both Freshmen and Transfer applicants. Please report all test scores as soon as possible. 
International students need a valid passport, nonimmigrant visa (F-1 or J-1) and the appropriate documentation to study at an accredited university in the United States. Learn more about visa and US entry requirements.

How to Get Into Your Major

  • In general, each major has its own prerequisites (major prep) coursework that you must take before transferring in order to get into your major.

  • Take the recommended lower-division/general ed/breadth classes for your major. Some programs recommend IGETC while others want you to focus on prerequisites. Use ASSIST to see what your major program recommends or contact an academic advisor in your major program.

  • Each major has its own minimum GPA requirement. Some majors require a GPA higher than that required for basic admission. Programs are selective. Strive to surpass your program’s minimum GPA. Remember: All transferable coursework will be taken into account.
Bourns College of Engineering (BCOE) Requirements 

Breadth Requirements
You are strongly encouraged to focus on preparatory course work (mathematics, science and technical work) for your desired major rather than on IGETC completion. However, Bourns does accept completion of IGETC as satisfying the majority of breadth requirements. Additional breadth coursework may be required after enrollment at Bourns. 

Strong technical preparation is essential for success in the admissions process, and subsequently, in all coursework at Bourns. If you intend to transfer to an engineering major, you are expected to complete the equivalent of UCR course work required in the first two years of the programs and apply for transfer starting your junior year. Use ASSIST to see the prerequisites you must take for your intended major (and to make sure your classes will transfer). See highly recommended courses for each major.

Minimum GPA
Strive to surpass the 2.8 minimum GPA.

Get Help
College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (CHASS) Requirements

Breadth Requirements
Complete IGETC or the UCR breadth pattern for the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (CHASS). 

Use ASSIST to see the prerequisites you must take for your intended major (and to make sure your classes will transfer).

Minimum GPA
Strive to surpass the 2.8 minimum GPA for Neuroscience, Psychology, and Psychology/Law and Society.

Get Help
Connect with the CHASS transfer outreach program. They can help you with support, advocacy, planning and more.
College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences (CNAS) Requirements

Breadth Requirements

Concentrate on completing transferable math and science classes. IGETC is not accepted as a way to complete the required breadth classes for CNAS. However, courses taken to satisfy IGETC may also go toward completing those requirements.

Use ASSIST to see the prerequisites you must take for your intended major (and to make sure your classes will transfer).

Minimum GPA
Strive to surpass the 2.8 minimum GPA.

Get Help
See more information for CNAS transfers.
School of Business Requirements

Breadth Requirements
Complete IGETC or the UCR breadth pattern for the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences.

Complete community college courses equivalent to seven lower division UCR Business major requirements listed in ASSIST.

Minimum GPA
Attain a minimum GPA of 2.8 in all UC-transferable coursework. These GPAs are a baseline for consideration and not a guarantee of admission.

Get Help   
See more information for School of Business transfers.

How to Apply

You will need your:

  • Transcripts
  • Test scores
  • Annual income (optional)
  • Social Security number (if you have one)
  • Citizenship status
  • Statewide student ID (optional)
  • Check or credit card
  • Use worksheets in the UC quick-start guide to organize your activities and achievements. 
  • Learn more about what you’ll need.
  • The personal insight questions are an opportunity for you to tell us about yourself in your own words, and an opportunity for us to get to know you better.

  • Draft your answers in a word processing program first, then copy and paste them into the UC application. (You’re automatically logged out of the UC application after 30 minutes.)

  • Transfer students must answer one required question, plus three out of seven additional questions. (There are additional instructions for military.)

  • Each response is limited to a maximum of 350 words.

  • The personal insight questions are just one part that we consider when making our admission decision. The important thing is that you express who you are, what matters to you and what you want to share with UCR!

  • See the personal insight questions for transfers.

  • Get writing tips.
  • You will use the UC Application to apply to UCR.

  • The fee is $80 for each UC. You can apply for a fee waiver when you fill out the application. (You’ll need your family's income and the number of people supported by it.)

  • You can access the UC Application beginning August 1. 

  • You can submit your application November 1-30. 

  • The application deadline is November 30.

  • If you have difficulties, email or call (800) 207-1710 (US) or (310) 513-2715 (outside US).
  • Print your receipt.

  • Watch for a confirmation email. As soon as you apply, you should receive one. If you do not receive one, contact, (800) 207-1710 (US) or 310-513-2715 (outside US).

  • Create a MyUCR Account and link it to your application to get the most up-to-date information on your admission status.

  • You must update your application by January 31. Log in to update your grades and course records.

  • Transfer admission notification begins March 1.

  • You can update some information on your application after you apply, such as contact information or self-report test scores. Learn more.



International admissions counselors and current students are here to help with answers and guidance.

  Get Help